Oct 22, 2021
Western elderberry is the dark purple berry of the European elderberry tree. It can be used to make medicine and is widely planted in Europe, North Africa, and Central and Western Asia. Its fruit is rich in anthocyanins, flavonoids (such as quercetin, rutin) and polyphenols. Its extracts are also rich in bioflavonoids, anthocyanins, vitamins and other substances with high antioxidant capacity, which act as anti-viral and immune boosters.
The nutritional composition of it
Western elderberry are a low-calorie food rich in antioxidants, with 100 grams of fresh berries containing 73 calories, 18.4 grams of carbohydrates and less than 1 gram of fat and protein.
● It is rich in vitamin C and high in dietary fiber, containing 6-35 mg of vitamin C and 7 g of fiber per 100 g.
● It is a good source of phenolic acids, and the compounds it contains are powerful antioxidants that can help reduce damage caused by oxidative stress in the body.
● It is a good source of flavonols. Flavonols are the color source of fruits and flowers, and can also regulate the body's responsiveness to some compounds, such as allergens, viruses, and carcinogens. In other words, flavonols have anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.
● It is also rich in anthocyanins, which is also the reason for its dark purple-black fruit. In addition to affecting color, anthocyanins are also powerful antioxidants with anti-inflammatory effects.
Side effects of taking it
● Because the plant itself has the effect of promoting blood circulation and relieving pain, it is not recommended for pregnant women. After a pregnant woman is over-supplemented, it is very likely to cause fetal movement, and it may also cause other problems.
● Different people have different physiques, especially the bodies of many people are more likely to react with food in life, so if used improperly, it may cause allergic reactions.
● Because it has a protective effect on the liver itself, but if you already have some abnormalities in your liver and then take it, it may cause liver discomfort.
So it needs to be used in the right way, and of course, attention should be paid to quality issues.
No. 11 South Tangyan Road. Xi'an 710065, China